1 cup carrots (shredded)
1 celery rib (minced)
1/2 cup onions (minced)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons dry mustard
8 ounces ground round
8 ounces ground pork
8 ounces ground veal
2 eggs (beaten)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon rosemary (chopped)
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup red onions (cut in rings)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon rosemary (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Process or crumble the bread and combine with the minced vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix the meat, eggs and seasonings together in a bowl. Knead until thoroughly combined. Add meat mixture to the crumbs/veggie mixture. Combine, but don't over mix.
- Set a wire rack over an 11 x 17 baking pan. Cut a 5 x 11 piece of parchment paper and place it on the rack.
- Form the meat mixture into and elongated loaf on the parchment paper.
- Mix the next 3 ingredients together and baste the loaf--set aside.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion rings. When soft and golden in places, add water and cook until most of the water evaporates. Garnish the loaf with the onion rings.
- Bake 30 minutes, then sprinkle rosemary needles on top. Continue baking for another 25 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before serving.