Making chocolate shavings for a garnish is easy. Pick up an extra chocolate bar, and use a vegetable peeler to shave bits of chocolate off the side.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Other: 1 hour 37 minutes
Yield: Makes 30 servings
- 1 1/2 (15-oz.) packages refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bars, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll 3 piecrusts, and stack on top of one another. Cut piecrust stack 10 times using a 3-inch round cutter, making 30 rounds. Press rounds into bottoms of ungreased muffin cups. (Dough will come halfway up sides, forming a cup.) Flute edges with a fork, if desired.
2. Bake rounds at 425° for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and let cool completely (about 20 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, stir together chocolate and cream in a 3 1/2-qt. heavy saucepan over low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool 30 minutes.
4. Pour 1 Tbsp. chocolate mixture into each piecrust. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours. Top each with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Garnish, if desired.