cake2tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons raspberry jam at room temperature, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1½ tablespoons light corn syrup
- 5 egg whites at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- ⅓ cup shaved/sliced almonds
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray two 9 inch round cake pans with cook spray. Dust both pans with the 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper/wax paper (you can buy pre-cut round pieces to line pans OR I just trace my pans onto regular parchment paper and cut it out with scissors)
- In a medium bowl combine cake flour, and salt and whisk to combine. In a larger bowl combine sugar, heavy cream, half and half (or milk) and mix well. Whisk in baking powder, egg whites, vanilla, almond extract until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in raspberries.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes until cake springs back with gently pressed with a finger. Allow to cool completely.
- When cake is cooled, prepare the filling. Mix butter 4-5 minutes on high speed (if you have a stand mixer, use that so your arms doesn't get tired with a hand mixer!) Reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar one cup at a time until incorporated and mixture is smooth. Add 4 tablespoons of raspberry jam and mix until smooth. Add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until spreadable. Spread filling over one cake. Spread remaining 4 tablespoons of jam on top. Place second cake on top of the jam.
- To make the meringue, add egg whites to a stand mixer and mix on high speed with a whisk attachment until stiff peaks form (about 8-10 minutes). Bring sugar, water, and corn syrup to a boil over medium high heat in a medium sauce pan, whisking throughout. Continue to whisk and cook until mixture is foamy. While the mixer is on low speed, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the fluffy egg whites. Add almond extract and continue to mix until mixture is shiny-looking and smooth and cooled. Spread frosting onto cake, coating top and all sides. Top with raspberries and almonds. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.