- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 c pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup raw or granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk OR almond milk + 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup GF flour blend*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 jalapeños, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners OR lightly grease them with non-stick spray or butter.
- Melt butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add pumpkin puree (or applesauce), sugar, honey, eggs and whisk to combine.
- Next add salt, baking soda, 1 of the jalapenos (diced, seeds removed) and stir.
- Add buttermilk or almond milk and stir again until combined.
- Last, add cornmeal and gluten free flour blend and stir until combined. If it looks too thin, add a touch more flour. If it looks to thick, add more buttermilk.
- Pour evenly into 12 muffin tins and top each with a slice of jalapeño (optional), seeds removed.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.Remove from oven and let rest in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer to a plate or bowl for serving. Cover to keep warm.
- I highly recommend serving these with just a touch of butter and honey.
- Will keep in an airtight container for up to a couple days. Store in the freezer to keep longer.
* Gluten free flour blend: 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup potato starch, 2 Tbsp tapioca flour, 2 Tbsp white rice flour.
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 muffin.
* Recipe heavily adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.